Our customers often ask about the importance and need of radon testing in Indiana. They’re basic questions typically include:
- “Do we need radon testing to purchase or sell our home in Indiana?”
- “Is ‘cancer from radon’ really a thing?”
- “I live in a subdivision. My next-door neighbor just had their home tested and found no problems. That means my house is good, right?”
- “How long does radon testing take?”
- “If I have a problem in my home / property, how expensive is the fix?”
Answer to: “Do we need radon testing to purchase or sell our home in Indiana?”
The answer is, “No. At this time you do not need radon testing to buy or sell a home in Indiana, but radon tests are heavily suggested by the state of Indiana and recommended by the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency).”
Here are links to some federal pages regarding their stances on radon:
- State of Indiana Radon fact sheet (yeah. At the time of this posting, they put it in a Word doc. First Google listing.)
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- American Lung Association
- American Cancer Society”
Answer to: “Is ‘cancer from radon’ really a thing?”
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency states:
“Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. You can’t see or smell radon. Testing is the only way to know your level of exposure.”
The other leading government agencies take similar stances. Follow those links in the answer to the first question.
Answer to: “I live in a subdivision. My next-door neighbor just had their home tested and found no problems. That means my house is good, right?”
It only means that your neighbor’s house had no problems when tested. It could have been the same builder, same plan, same tools, equipment, materials, and built simultaneously, and it wouldn’t make a difference. .
Answer to: “How long does radon testing take?”
Answer: Not very long. It’s more of a case of having the proper tools to do the collection and a little know-how for the analysis.
Luckily, Certified Home Inspections has the knowledge, tools, and the trade to cover all aspects of your Radon testing needs. Our company is licensed and certified by the NRPP and the AARST to perform Radon Testing & Measurement. We’re also one of the few on the State of Indiana list of Radon Measurers. You can also find us listed on the state of Indiana website.
We offer the highest quality equipment in the industry to perform Radon Testing & Measurement.
Our Radon tools include:
- Sun Nuclear 1028 Radon Monitor: tamper-proof with a motion sensor
- Continuous monitor: records a measurement every hour for 48 hours and auto averages the radon level. They are very accurate. They’re calibrated and chamber tested yearly by NRPP standards.
With multiple monitors for quick turnaround times, we’re able to test several customers simultaneously.
Answer to: “If I have a radon problem in my home / property, how expensive is the fix?”
Typically, not very expensive at all. The fix depends on the issue. Those certified to fix radon problems in home and / or property are Radon Mitigators. If you would like, we can point you in the direction of a few certified mitigators in your area.
If you have any more questions, or want to know more about the answers to these questions, please contact us today.
As our fearless leader, founder Jim Ullom puts it:
“Our company feels an obligation to inform the community of the the growing risk of Radon. We learned and evolved in order to create a safer environment by providing accurate/reliable radon testing and measurement services for Porter, Lake, and LaPorte counties.”
To quickly and easily schedule Radon Testing, contact us today.
Our friendly staff will provide a pain-free initial consultation, and answer all relevant questions you might have.