If you’ve ever seen the demise of Christopher Walken at the hands of that notorious home-spoiling mouse in 1997’s Mouse Hunt, then you’re well-aware of the mighty destructive forces just one tiny intruder can bring to a home. Fine, the example is a bit overkill – and the film’s mouse is perhaps a bit more conniving than the average rodent – but the message is the same: pests are unwelcome in the home.
Even small, subtle signs of bugs or rodents can be indicative of much larger issues, like infestation. Certified Home Inspections is well-versed in every aspect of the home inspection, and identifying the presence of pests is no exception. In fact, we offer our pest inspection free of charge alongside every home inspection.
Below, we’ve listed the most common red flags to look for when suspicious of pests, so you can be better informed on the state of your current or future home.
Top 5 Signs of Pests
- Droppings and Eggs: The most damning evidence is also the most obvious. If you see anything resembling small fecal matter, or find small insect-sized eggs in the dark corners of the house, you need to call an exterminator right away. Please, just don’t eat the raisins.
- Presence of Pesticides: When searching for a new home, be sure to check every supply closet, pantry, and cabinet. You might not find an insect or rodent itself, but you could come across a hallmark sign that the previous homeowner dealt with pests: pesticides.
- Strange Noises: When walking through your current or prospective home, take some time to really listen to what the house is telling you. Muted scratching sounds behind the walls or under the floorboards is an easy indication of rodents. Also be aware that larger insects can be heard just as well, as long as you’re willing to press your ear the drywall or hardwood.
- Grease Tracks: It won’t surprise you that rodents aren’t the cleanest of creatures. This, in addition to their instinctual habit of following the same path throughout the house, will often lead to visible grease trails on floors and walls.
- Evidence of Nesting: If you’ve come across small shreds of paper or plastic, or notice small clippings of grass or leaves scattered throughout the home, there’s a fair chance that a mouse is busy making a cozy nest for his family. In a cartoon movie, it might be cute… but in real life, he never quite got an invite.
A final quick-tip to our local Crown Point residents:
We’ve found that many of our CP clients are looking to refinance their home mortgage. You might not know that this requires a professional pest inspection by a state-licensed Category 12 pest inspector – which we are!
If you suspect pests, or are in the middle of refinancing your home, be sure to call us here at Certified for an inspection that’s without delay and always thorough.